True, we may be a week late with this post, but actually Cinco de Mayo last weekend got me thinking about Mexican beers. It’s not just about Coronas anymore. Mexico is now producing a number of delicious, well made beers from dark stout to light ale. Here are some of our favorites:
1. Negra Modelo: I love the quote I found about this beer on from the bros at Beer Advocate: “Don’t even think about it, get that damn lime away from this beer and pour it into a glass. Just because this beer comes from Mexico does not mean it needs a wedge of citrus to make it taste better.” I think that pretty much sums it up. Negra Modelo is the top selling dark beer in Mexico and it’s really making a splash in America. The perfect beer to grab and enjoy with a Mexican meal. Buy it here
2. Bohemia Clara: Translation: Light Bohemia. The Bohemia beers are definitely a favorite among the beer specialists of the world. The light version is a German style Pilsner with a very intriguing aroma and a refreshing finish. This is the beer you grab with the spiciest of spicy foods. It will calm your palate about as much as a glass of milk will. Well maybe not as much as milk, but it’s way more fun, right? Buy it here.
3. Bohemia Obscura: The darker Bohemia is a little bit harder to find. I couldn’t even find an online retailer that I could link to here. So you’re just gong to have to go to Mexico to try this bad boy. From what I’ve read this is the dark beer from Mexico to drink. Head and shoulders above any other dark beer from Mexico so I had to include it on the list (even though, truthfully, I’ve never tried it). Doesn’t the mystery make you want to try it even more?!
4. Dos Equis Amber Lager: Don’t you just think of the most interesting man when you hear the name ‘Dos Equis’? I guess that’s when you know you have a good marketing campaign – when the tagline sticks with your brand. ‘Stay thirsty my friends.’ If you haven’t visited the Dos Equis website before it’s actually quite a fun time hanging out with the most interesting man (check it out). Ok now back to topic, the beer. If you’re not a fan of the darker beers, this is a great Mexican lager to grab. It’s not the fanciest beer around but it has a great copper color, balanced flavor similar to an amber and a very light bitterness. All around, good Mexican beer to sip on. Buy it here
5. Victoria: Ya gotta give respect to your elders here. Victoria is Mexico’s oldest beer brand, first produced in 1865. And they have the process down pat. I really enjoy this beer because of it’s medium body. I recognize and respect the darker, heavy bodied stouts but when I am craving a cold beer, I am going to reach for a lager, just like Victoria. It has a rich amber color, slight malt sweetness and a very smooth, crisp finish. Man this is making me thirsty… Buy it here
Are you a fan of Mexican beer? What’s your favorite?