Yes this is a post only about bacon. And that is because my husband and I are obsessed with sweet and spicy bacon. A good friend of ours in Philadephia introduced us to the remarkable taste a few years ago when we stopped over at his house for drinks before dinner. He had the bacon out on the table as our appetizer. Just the bacon. Genius. It was so unexpected, so fun and so delicious. He actually uses brown sugar and chopped jalapeños for his bacon, so if jalapeños are a favorite of yours try that method too!
When I make sweet and spicy bacon at home, I usually turn to smoked paprika or cayenne for the heat. This last batch of smoked paprika I bought from the spice store is exceptionally spicy so that is all I needed. But taste yours first – it may be more smoky than spicy, and you may need to add a pinch of cayenne as well.
Here are my tips for sweet and spicy bacon: 1. bake on a cooling rack placed on a baking sheet. That will let the heat surround the bacon and you’ll get an all around crispy texture. 2. Low and slow. 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Give it time. Too high heat will burn the sugar and the whole slice won’t cook evenly. Trust me, it’s worth the wait.
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon cayenne (for more spice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay bacon slices on a cooling rack placed over a baking dish.
- Sprinkle each slice with 1 teaspoon brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika.
- Bake low and slow until bacon is crispy and caramelized, about 30 minutes.