St. Patrick’s Day to me means one thing…Shamrock Shakes. I love milkshakes, my one true guilt food, you can find me in line at McDonald’s or Chik Fila sneaking one too often to count. But I’ve started to outgrow the calories and the over-processed taste of McDonald’s signature green drink, and decided to try my hand at a homemade version. This version includes a number of alcoholic beverages, which would be fun for a St. Patty’s Day theme party. However, if you want a booze-free version (even more guilt-free!), eliminate the alcohol and substitute mint extract instead. The alcohol free, whip cream free version has only 252 calories per serving (8 ounces), 3.2 g of fat, 1.2 g of saturated fat and 0 g of trans fat! Not bad considering McDonald’s same serving size packs 530 calories and 15 g of fat.
Start making the ice cream about an hour ahead of time (make sure your ice cream bin is good and frozen the night before). Mix the egg yolks, skim milk powder, and sugar subsitute together. Add the condensed milk, vanilla extract, and skim milk to the mixture and heat gently, stirring often and avoiding a boil. Once the mixture has slightly thickened (about 15 minutes), transfer to container and allow to fully cool. Once cooled, at the mixture to the ice cream machine and churn until thickened. Set ice cream aside in freezer to thicken more, about 15 minutes.
While you are waiting for the ice cream to freeze, make the whip cream. Beat the whipping cream and confectioner’s sugar together until thick and is able to stand on its own.
Add ice cream, chopped mint, food coloring, creme de menthe, vodka, and Bailey’s (or substitue mint extract for alcohol free version) to a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour finished milkshake into glass, top with whip cream and mint spring.
- 1 cup sugar substitute
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons skimmed milk powder
- 1 cup condensed milk, fat free
- 3 cups + 1.5 cups skim milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring
- 2 teaspoons chopped mint + springs for decor
- 2 ounces creme de menthe
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1.5 ounces Bailey’s Irish cream
- Substitute 1½ teaspoons mint extract for alcohol-free version
- Mix egg yolks, skimmed milk powder, and sugar substitute together.
- Add condensed milk, vanilla extract, and 3 cups skim milk to the mixture. Heat over low heat, carefully, stirring often and avoiding a boil until the mixture thickens (about 15 minutes).
- Remove mixture and transfer to container, allow to cool to remove temperature fully.
- Transfer mixture to ice cream machine, churn ice cream by machine directions until thickened. Transfer to freezer for additional 15 minutes to freeze fully.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and confectioner’s sugar to bowl, whip until firm (about 5 minutes).
- Add ice cream, milk, food coloring, chopped mint, and alcohol (or mint extract for alcohol-free version) to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour 8 ounces of milkshake into glass, top with whip cream and mint spring.